Verse Of The Day

LOL of The Week

LOL of The Week

Now Showing This Week

Now Showing This Week

Followers

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Am I Over-reacting??

On Tuesdays Jenna has show-n-tell in her Pre-K class. Tuesday night she told us that one of her friends brought in a Cheetah Girls video and they watched some it.

It's been my understanding that the Cheetah Girls is geared towards the 'tween generation. I asked Jenna, "Do the Cheetah Girls wear really short dresses?"

"Yeah." I was not happy to hear this was being shown to 5 year-olds.

Yesterday I called the principal and voiced my concern. She had never heard of the Cheetah Girls but told me she'd look in to it. In my conversation with the principal I acknowledged that the teacher can't control what is brought in for show-n-tell. I was dismayed that she chose to show it.

I'm not a prude by any means, but given the chronic, wide-spread, low self-esteem issues that our Nation's girls have already, I don't need for it to start with my five year old.

A couple of hours later she phoned me back and said she had discussed this with Jenna's teacher. Her teacher said it was a 'G' rated video and they watched about 15 minutes of it. She did indicate that from now on no outside videos would be shown unless the teacher had screened them first.

Regardless if it's a 'G' rated video, is it still appropriate for five year olds? In my mind, no. Then again, parents are over-protective at times; sometimes for good reason, and sometimes not.

I may have over-reacted but I'm sticking to my guns. I don't care if the Cheetah Girls is on the Disney Channel. There's a lot of shows on that channel that are not appropriate for pre-schoolers.

Whaddaya think??

8 comments:

Ace said...

I vote for overreaction - and I applaud you. Recently got into a heated discussion about the length of my daughter's skirts with my dearest better half.

Gina (Mannyed) said...

hmm...no, I think it was smart of you to look into the situation further. But being that they only watched 15 mins, I'm thinking the pre-schoolers didn't take away much from the video. But I'm not a mom, so my opinion on this doesn't really matter. ; )

ShanaM said...

Personally, I don't like the Cheetah girls much. I have even been to one of their concerts. I would say that their music id good to dance to. It is lively and they sing about friendship a lot. But 5 is too young for music vidoes or their movies. I have watched ALL their movies too.
You did good!!

Robin said...

I'm with you!
But apparently I can't elaborate becuz I'm an idiot. I've deleted at least 13 different sentences...I've raise my girls. And I didn't do such a great job.

You have to do what you feel is best for you. Period.

Turfdad said...

Four more weeks of fencing class and you'll get whatever you want at that school.

Turfdad said...

But if you start belly dancing you might screw everything up.

Becca said...

I would have been all over it too. That is so inappropriate on so many levels. 5? Good grief.

Kelly said...

It always upset me that my son was allowed to watch tv shows at school (on rainy days during recess) that I didn't allow him to watch at home. I was really unhappy with Cartoon Network shows...I still won't let him watch several of them, and he's 9 now.